Sunday, March 22, 2015

DIY Snow Globes


What a fun craft this ended up being!  I would recommend it only for ages 12 and above.  Just having teenagers and myself doing the craft, our programming rooms still looks like a unicorn exploded in the sink.  Other than a little mess and a little practice, (and a little hot glue burn on my thumb), this craft was very simple.  We googled "how to make your own snowglobe", and purchased miniature glass jars (my colleague found a box of 20 for $20 in the wedding aisle of our local craft store!), a small bottle of glycerin, and lots and lots of glitter.  

I also decided to buy my own personal larger mason jar and merman figurine, because I wanted a merman snow globe.  Legit, right?  The snow globes themselves were assembled in a few easy steps:

Materials:
  • Small jars with lids
  • Figurines, photos, or magazines
  • Hot glue gun 
  • Glitter and/or sequins
  • Glycerin
  • Water
  • Felt and yarn, optional
Directions:

  • Glue your figurine (Harry Potter Lego guy, if you have it) with hot glue to the lid of the jar OR
  • Cut a picture (of Taylor Swift) out and laminate it with packing tape; glue to the back of the jar
  • Add glitter and/or sequins
  • Add one drop of glycerin 
  • Add water to top of jar
  • Screw on lid! As tightly as you can!
  • Shake it, shake it off
  • For upside down snow globes (where the lid is on the bottom), seal the lid with hot glue so that the water doesn't leak out.  
  • Optional: Rubber band a piece of felt around the lid of your jar, trim sides, and tie a piece of yarn around the base, as pictured in the merman snow globe.

My large merman snow globe ended up having to go without water because I couldn't seal it off without leaking.  Probably because I bought one of those mason jars with the two part lid! Oh, well. He will still be proudly displayed on my desk in all his glory.  Along with Taylor Swift and Harry Potter!

No comments:

Post a Comment