Saturday, November 23, 2013

November Crafts

I am a little late on this post but I was too busy stuffing myself with turkey this weekend to get to my blogging.  Since November is over, however, I thought now's the time to showcase my November crafts before it's too late!

One of the crafts I did was simple bears.  I wanted to do something that brought attention to the changing of the seasons, and used the "Teddy Bear" craft to talk to kids about how bears hibernate for the winter.  I also put out lots of bear books on display for checkout.  Who doesn't love a classic teddy bear book?

I gave the little ones a wide selection of multicolored "puff-balls" (I actually have no idea what those little buggers are called) so that they could be creative and make their teddy bears any size, shape, and color they wanted.  I ended up seeing many different types of bears!  It was a simple craft, only requiring glue, puff balls, and googly eyes.  (Number one rule of crafting: googly eyes make everything better).

For a Thanksgiving craft, I had the tiny tots make paper bag turkey centerpieces.  I really wanted to do something different than the old traced hand routine.  This was by far the best turnout I have ever gotten for a craft event, and kids and parents alike got really involved and had a lot of fun.

 I pre-made the turkey "bodies" by crumpling a paper bag, inserting that into another paper bag, and then twisting the top around to form a head; finally gluing that piece down.  I also pre-cut turkey feet, waddles, and beaks out of colorful foam paper.

Along with these materials, some feathers, and of course googly eyes, it was up to the little ones to decorate their turkeys as they saw fit.  And we ended up with some very gorgeous turkey centerpieces; even one with false eyelashes!  I hope the children proudly displayed them during their Thanksgiving dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment