Saturday, February 8, 2014

Silly Hat Storytime

We recently started a new Saturday morning family storytime.  This is great for two reasons: one, parents who work throughout the week can attend (during the week we mostly get nannies and daycare centers) AND I get to pick a theme!!!  With an all ages audience, we have some more leeway when it comes to themes, which is why I usually don't do a theme for a specific age range; it ends up being too limiting to appropriate book choices.  Anyways, for my first Family Fun Time Storytime, I did SILLY HATS!
Silly Hat Storytime 
  • Song: Hello, How Are You?
    • Our typical "Hello" song for storytimes. 
  • Book: Whose Hat? by Margaret Miller (1988)
    • The kids loved this, as they got to identify who each hat belongs to (i.e. a witch, policeman, nurse, etc.)
  • Puppet: Fat Cat in Hats
    • I used hats from our dress-up set to put on my fat cat puppet Maurice and asked the kids to identify them. This was a nice continuation of Whose Hat? and the kids always love seeing Maurice.
  • Book: Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (1947)
    • This was probably the crowd's favorite book of the storytime, and no wonder, it's a classic!  My favorite part was when an infant was shaking her fists right along with the monkeys.
  • Song: and Flannel: No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
    • Always a favorite!
  • Book: I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (2011)
    • I wouldn't read this for storytime again.  Since the story is basically told through dialogue, I think it's a little hard to follow just by listening.  I get the humor in it, but I don't think the kids do.  In fact, it's a little terrifying for wee ones, as the rabbit gets eaten by the bear in the end.
  • Song: On My Nose I Have a Hat
    • Kids love participating with this song by offering answers to the question, "Where else can my silly hat go?"
  • Book: The Hat by Jan Brett (1997)
    • I've said it before: Jan Brett is among the best of the best!  It's still winter so this was a nice choice, and the children listened intently.
  • Flannel: Little Rat and Hat
    • A variation of "Little Mouse in his House":  I put up five different colored hats and ask the kids to help me find my missing rat.  Someone guesses green, and I say, "Little rat, little rat, are you in the GREEN HAT?"  It is always extremely exciting for them when we finally find the rat.  I like this flannel because it's easily changed for a theme and it is always a favorite.
  • We Wave Goodbye Like This 
    • Our typical "Goodbye" song for storytimes.
  • Our Hands Say Thank You
    • The final finishing touch: "Our hands say 'Thank You' with a clap clap clap!  Our feet say  'Thank You' with a tap tap tap!  Clap clap clap!  Tap tap tap! And we rollllllllll our hands to say, 'Goodbye!'"
  • Craft: Jan Brett's characters and hats, a matching game craft!  Jan Brett's crafts are so simple and easy to prepare, and kids love them.  This was perfect for multiple ages.




No comments:

Post a Comment