Friday, February 21, 2014

Valentine's Day Storytime

I usually don't do themed storytimes because I don't like to limit my book choices... I would rather just pick my favorites whether they are related or not!  However, in the spirit of Valentine's Day, I decided to do a storytime about love since that is quite a broad theme, and I had a lot to choose from!

Books I read:

  • And I Love You by Ruth Krauss and Steven Kellogg
  • My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall
  • All Kinds of Kisses by Nancy Tafuri

Songs I sang:

  • "Skidamarink"
  • "Two Little Lovebirds" (Dickybirds)
  • "Six Little Valentines"



"Six Little Valentines" was especially fun.  I borrowed the idea from Storytime Katie, who adapted the song and flannel from Busy Crafting Mommy.  I am not as handy with a sewing machine as these ladies, so I crafted my envelopes from paper and added a velcro tab to the back of each so that they would stick to the flannel board.  The kids loved these valentines... there is a certain excitement about opening up mail and finding out what is inside an envelope, especially when they are cute little valentines from animal friends.  I wish I could use this set all year long... I may have to adapt a non-seasonal "mail" flannel set since this one was such a hit!

"Six Little Valentines"


Six little Valentines were sent to my house,
The first one said, “I love you, From Mouse.”
Five little Valentines in my mailbox,
The second one said, “Be mine, Love Fox.”
Four little Valentines full of love,
The third one said, “You are sweet, From Dove.”
Three little Valentines just for me,
The fourth one said, “Be my honey, Love Bee.”
Two little Valentine’s mailed with care,
The fifth one said, “Here’s a hug, From Bear.”
The last little Valentine, from my friend Jay,
This one said, “Happy Valentine’s Day!”



No comments:

Post a Comment