Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Grinchy Program on the Fly

If you read my blog, you know that I like to be overwhelmingly prepared for my programs. I usually describe the process as "spastic" and "overdone".  Sometimes, however, the situation arises where a librarian needs to come up with a program AT THE LAST MINUTE!  That very day!  As an ultimate test to my Type-A-Librarian personality, someone called in sick on a day they were scheduled to do a program.  Being the only Children's Librarian that day, it became my responsibility to come up with something for the 30+ kids that usually show up to this afternoon program.  
Because TIS THE SEASON, and we had a copy on display, and I saw it, I decided to do a read-aloud of the old classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.  I remember seeing the movie many times as a child (and let's face it, every year into adulthood), but I had never read the book.  I know. Bad librarian!  Thinking this may be the case for other children, I wanted to read the book and show the movie, then talk about differences between book and movie adaptations for this school-age (6-12) program.
As I was prepping for the program, I quickly realized the difference between a CD and a DVD. Unfortunately, our library only had a copy of the CD and not the DVD, and I'd sooner die than play the Jim Carrey version (sorry Jimbo), so; first baby step: adapt!  I did not need to explain to the kids that there was not going to be a movie.  They didn't know that was my plan in the first place.  Instead of beginning a program from a place of disappointment, I set off the program by asking who had ever seen the movie.  About half of the children raised their hands.  I then told them that Dr. Seuss wrote the book long before the movie was ever made, which prompted a great discussion on other books-turned-movies, like Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Harry Potter, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and The Lorax. Apparently Captain Underpants is even going to have his own movie- I did not know!

I also decided to take advantage of some of the lovely resources that are lurking around in the interwebs.  I love Dr. Seuss's website Seussville. There are so many fun games and printable resources.  I have used them in the past for my "Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!" program and Oobleck program.  Seussville has many Grinchy activities, but I liked this activity book most of all.  I spent some time altering the pdf a little bit (BABY STEPS) so I could print out little 4x5" booklets instead of using a few trees' worth of paper (wouldn't the Lorax approve?).  I love this activity because it encourages kids to really think about what acts of kindness and giving can do to make a positive impact in both your and others' lives.  I just had the kids color the booklet and write in their own ideas for good deeds.  They really impressed me with their thoughtfulness and enthusiasm for the mini project.  I explained to a few little ones what "charity" meant and they really liked the idea of donating their old clothes, toys, and books to children in need.  This was a really special group of kids and I think they made MY heart grow at least three sizes that day.



No comments:

Post a Comment