Thursday, September 12, 2013

Wonderful One's

Today was my first storytime for Wonderful One's.  Or as I like to call them, little puffer bellies.  I think that you could sing them or read to them anything and they would still look at you with wide open eyes like you are giving them the keys to the world.

I started out with one of my all time favorite stories, The Three Little Kittens.  I used Paul Galdone's version but also added my own little creative twist.  I like to use flannels any chance I get because I think a visual prop holds the babies' attention even more than just the book. With three little kittens, it also gives me the chance to count to three with them.  So I made three little kittens, three sets of mittens, and a pie.  I also made jelly splotches and soap bubbles for when they soil and wash their mittens.


Next, I sang "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" (definitely the perfect age for this song) and "Baa Baa Black Sheep"; another chance to count to three and another chance for me to take out my scissors, glue, and felt!  

I also read Teddy Bear Teddy Bear by Steve Scott, as well as Sleepy Oh So Sleepy by Denise Fleming.  I love her illustrations and the way the babies responded to the tiny baby animals with looks of pure adoration.  I think the parents and caretakers liked this book too.  When it says "Where's my sleepy baby", I pretended to look through the audience for a sleepy baby, trying to engage them as much as possible. I ended up very pleased with my book, song and rhyme selections for this age group but I had planned a thirty minute storytime that only went twenty five, so I need to be sure to watch my speed, or add another book and song just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment